Search This Blog

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Ambitious, Human, Humble, Resilient

Thinking about a theme for the first management/healthcare centered post that I would make I searched through my file folder that is stacked full of little business and healthcare articles, quotes, and notes. Every so often, usually once a year or so, I will open up this folder and just look through the topics, concepts, poetry, themes, and models that I have considered important throughout my education and early career.

In the middle of all the articles and other paper I found a half-sheet, glossy program that I had been saving for nearly 5 years. On October 15, 2004 I was 2 months away from finishing my undergraduate degree at Utah State University in the College of Business. I knew that my career would be in healthcare and so I attended a presentation by a Ron K. Labrum, the President and CEO of a division of Cardinal Health. He was the guest speaker for the Dean's Convocation in the College of Business.

I don't remember much about the talk....other than things I wrote down and the fact that I felt embarrassed for the school seeing as how the presentation was given in the Business Building Auditorium which at the time was run-down, old, and dirty. The cleanliness of the auditorium is beside the point, however I would like to discuss those few notes that I jotted down during the presentation. Mr. Labrum shared a video with us of a physician in a busy downtown, urban hospital. The physician made a special point, and is something that I could use as my personal mission statement. He stated the following about leaders in healthcare (specifically referring to physicians), we must be;
"Ambitious enough to try my hardest the whole time,
Human enough to make mistakes,
Humble enough to accept the changes,
Resilient enough to bounce back."

Ambitious, human, humble, and resilient! I view these as the principles and characteristics of true leaders. There must be a recognition that throughout our lives we will not ALWAYS make the correct decisions or moves. However, we should try our hardest whether we are right or wrong, accept the changes that we need to make up, and continue work for something better. The thought this physician left was motivating and thought provoking.

Now, I know that simply sharing a principle or reading a special thought does not change behavior or lifestyle. These "soft" messages are simply motivating and can trigger action that if done consistently can become a part of lifestyle.....or an individuals mission statement!

As a sidenote, the only other note that I took during the speech was a thought of my own. I noted that one of the reasons I chose to become a hospital administrator is because "as administrator you put in to place systems and structures for the delivery of care." I recognize the importance of my job and hope to follow after the mission of being "ambitious, human, humble, and resilient."

*Ron K. Labrum (bachelors degree from Utah State University, College of Business) is still with Cardinal health and is now the CEO of their Healthcare Supply Chain Services.

2 comments:

Grandpa Glenn said...

How old is this Ron Labrum? Is he about 50 years old now, and tall and pretty good looking? If so, I delivered his first child or two (everybody in my office thought that his wife looked like Wonder Woman!). And years before that, when he was in Junior High School, I taught him early morning seminary (B of M). I know that Mikko is acquainted with the Ron Labrum that I am referring to, and he told that Labrum is filthy rich. Just thought you'd like to know.

Scott W. Mortensen MHA, MBA said...

Yes, Ron Labrum is about 50 years old. Here is a link to a website with a picture of him receiving an award (near the bottom-right of the website)... http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.sedolfoundation.org/images/dd1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.sedolfoundation.org/dinner_info.html&usg=__cD6F_-fp-l8TjK01aSyM3xF1kxM=&h=202&w=250&sz=39&hl=en&start=1&sig2=iYlAvq4I0HyBJ2Bqg78AuQ&tbnid=9XUn2_XCVmZwCM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=111&prev=/images%3Fq%3DRon%2BLabrum%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG&ei=HLldStykN4faNaij_LEP